Wednesday 4 August 2010

Sorry for no update.
I have been busy.
I have added the front hubs to the uprights,and ordered a torque wrench.It then took ages to find a 27mm socket for a 3/8 dr torq wrench!! In hind sight I should have ordered a 1/2 inch dr wrench!!
I found one eventually,it cost more than the wrench!!I am waiting for it to arrive.
I have spent most of the time "fettling" the seat back panels. I drilled holes at the top and bottom of the panels when I didnt need to.So I made new panels. The corresponding holes in the chassis,I filled with sikaflex,smoothed level with a knife blade,then keyed with wire wool and painted with hammerite. I then bought a strip of self adhesive 4mm thick neoprene strip. A strip along the top,and one across the bottom attached to the chassis,and all is well. I found that getting the hang of using rivnuts took a little getting used to.The first few had to be drilled out as I had used too much force installing them,and the bolts fouled on the pinched rivnut section.Also when drilling the holes for the rivnuts down the sides of the seat back panels,the drill had to be held at an angle due to the side chassis bracing,this resulted in the holes being drilled at an angle of +/-30 degrees. the rivnuts however attached to the chassis square,which meant that the holes in the panels did not line up as well as they should.So I took the opportunity to address this when making the new panels. All has been test fitted and all bolts are square,and freely bolt in and out. What a pain,but I feel much better knowing it all fits nicely now.
I have ordered the fuel lines,and brake lines,along with appropriate insulated P clips and fittings,and have finally got my grubby mitts on a draft build manual,whch has already cleared alot of the confusion that was taking up alot of time.
Cheers for now,James.

No comments: