Tuesday 29 June 2010

work suspended.

Captains log...
I thought I would take a look at the rear suspension yesterday,and in doing so I found that one of the supplied bolts did not fit through the fiesta hub. Looking into the problem,I discovered that the reason was that the other end of the bolt was captured by a bush that was 1/2" inside diameter,but the hole in the fiesta hub was 12mm. A whopping difference of 0.7mm,which is plenty big enough of a difference. I had a go at drilling out the hole,but got nowhere fast. I checked with Jeremy that I was doing the right thing,and he suggested that taking the hubs to a local engineering firm might be the way to go. A trawl round the local industrial estate found a likely suspect,and sure enough,they were only too happy to help. I will pick them up on Monday.They are going to charge me £15,which is the same as 2 high quality drill bits,so not too bad.
So I switched my attention to the front suspension today,and trial fitted the components...






All went together perfectly. I love the rocker arms an inboard shocks setup.
I will get some nice alloy brackets from ebay for the steering rack and fit that next.
Cheers,James

No comments: